Re: [TowerTalk] Bose A20 aviation headset for ham purposes?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bose A20 aviation headset for ham purposes?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:54:54 -0400
On 9/30/2011 5:56 PM, Tõnno Vähk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been searching for a perfect headset for 48 hour contest operation
> and found Bose A20 aviation headset being highly praised by pilots for
> comfort as well as noise cancelling. Looks like an excellent product.

The Bose are one of the most comfortable headsets and light weight
headsets you can find and they have an advantage most headsets hams use
do not. They are noise canceling and virtually take you out of the noisy
world of multi op. They also have a *directional noise canceling*
mike.   If you haven't used ANRs you have really missed something.  the
Bose name does bring a premium in cost.

Unfortunately  you will find they use an electret mike and are not
compatible with rigs using dynamic mikes.  You would have to
independently power the mike.

it can be done, but...

Aviation headsets with Active Noise Canceling along with the
directional, noise canceling mikes are a joy to use in noisy locations
and even though they are expensive are worth it! I've never understood
why they aren't the norm for contest, multi-op stations or for Field
Day.  You do not hear a sound from stations ops just a few feet either
side of you, nor does the mike pick up those sounds.  The mike response
is also designed for communications, not high fidelity.

In an airplane (prop driven) you don't hear the normal engine or prop
sounds, but you do hear the wind and engine accessories which you
normally never hear.

IF I could find a good set that would work well with the 5000MP I
certainly would purchase a them.  They aren't for every one, but there's
no replacement for multi op in noisy locations.

BTW early ANRs were heavy and *hot* in the summer. On a 5 hour flight
(1000 miles) I'd fold up a washcloth to put under the head band as it'd
leave groves in the skin on the top of my head.  After a few hours they
were painful to wear, but later models were a joy compared to them.

73

Roger (K8RI)