To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 85, Issue 62
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:24:13 +0000
Not here, my soil is official known as 'Peru Loam', "a moderately well
drained soil in stony, acid, glacial till.  Friable fine sandy loam or loam
subsoil underlain by a hard layer at a depth of 18 to 30 inches".

That means, you can dig about 18" and if you don't hit a bolder you end up
in hardpan.  Dig through that stuff, which digs more like concrete than
dirt, and after about 3' you hit glacial sand/gravel deposits that are often
saturated with ground water stuck on top of the bedrock which on my property
is normally 15-20' down.

But yes, I do have a 60' rohn 25g tower sitting on a roof plate on the
ground with screw anchors for guy points.  That old field day tower has been
in 3 different locations around the house and keeps getting in the way so it
comes down and moves... in one piece, and then goes right back up.  Right
now it has 6m and 2m beams and a 2m/70cm vertical on it.  The biggest
antenna that has been on it was a 6 element 20m telrex monster.  It was on
it for only hours while I twirled it around by hand making pattern
measurements to see how well the YO redesign worked out.

Just remember after the prime directive is the k1ttt directive... do as I
say, not as I do!

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net