Re: [TowerTalk] Bumps in coax

To: "a towertalk COL" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bumps in coax
From: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:26:47 -0500
Hi all,

During my regular inspection of my coaxial cables, I noticed 2 or 3 hard
bumps along the length of the cable.  These bumps or pimples, do not break
through the outer jacket, but look as if they are on the verge of doing so.
These bumps, or whatever, are small, about 1/8th inch or so.   Any idea what
they are, or what causes them?

73 Buddy WB4M

Buddy last year I bought 100 feet of allegedly high quality RG-8X coax from
a reputable manufacturer/supplier. When I unwound it on the ground it had
allot of the bumps as you described. I cut some of the coax open and found
that the soft foam insulation around the center conductor had kink like
twists in it.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA