Re: [TowerTalk] question about Phillystran

To: bluegras@core.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] question about Phillystran
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:40:25 -0400

bluegras@core.com wrote:
> I have looked thru the Towertalk archives and am re-visiting a question
> about using Phillystran for tower guys to see if anything has changed
> since the 2006 and earlier posts on the subject and more experience with
> Philly has been had in ice conditions.
>
> Phillistran doesn't
> recommend cable clamps or End Sleeves, due to the elastic nature of
> Phillystran; they won't stay on.
Yes, cable clamps will stay on. That's the only alternative for the
small "stuff".

>  They don't have an alternative
> recommendation for "terminating" for "serving" the
> completed long & short legs of a Big Grip, especially to protect it
> from water flow down the guy, ice penetration and subsequent loosening.

I live in Michigan where ice is common and it's never been a problem
since I put the tower up, or at least it has never affected the guys.
Water running down and freezing just seems to coat them. I've never had
any loosening.
> Suggested practices, other than "ice caps" or hose
> clamps?

If you are concerned about them "unwinding" I'd either tape them, put
heavy duty heat shrink over them, coat them  with a liquid plastic, or
use the hose clamps.. The liquid plastic/tape has the advantage that it
would keep the water out entirely. OTOH I have no idea as to how it
would affect the gripping properties of the "big grips" so I'd certainly
be cautious.

73

Roger (K8RI)