[TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'
From: "John" <fraz1@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:30:03 -0600
My personal experience aligns with Jim's.  So does modeling.  The range of
3-10db off the ends of a flat dipole is very typical.  An inverted V will not
typically exhibit the same level of nulls of the "end".  I needed BS9 for the
last one.  I had a a twenty meter dipole at 66 feet, but BS9 was off the end.
I could barely tell they were there at their peaks.  I quickly put up another
dipole with broadside favoring them.  Bingo......they were quite readable and
soon were in my log.  I installed the additional antenna in a 30 minute
timeframe.

While I'm not a regular to the various mobile oriented nets (Mid-cars,
South-cars, etc) one of the net controls used crossed dipoles and swears by
them.  If you are talking simply casual QSO's one might argue the value.

73 John K4NP