Re: [TowerTalk] Long Barrel Connectors - The post is short the connector

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Barrel Connectors - The post is short the connector
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 10:20:33 -0400
Richards wrote:
> I guess I do not think UHF bulkhead connectors are called "bullet
> connectors" either.... a web search for this term yields pages
> with products like this:
>
> http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/wp01.asp
> http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.com/Bullets.htm
> http://www.smelectronics.us/smpgpobullets.htm
> http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=620&subgroupId=17
>
> http://www.pulserc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18
>

> THESE are what I call bullet connectors.   I do not think this
> is what he is looking for,    n'est ce pas?
>
> Just MY take.  ===========  K8JHR  ================

Obviously, the terms "bullet" and "barrel" mean different things to
different people.  Those who "assign" these short-hand names actually
end up clouding the already muddy water of connector nomenclature.

If you want a UHF barrel (female to female) you would do well to ask for
an 83-1F and specify the length.
If you eschew these "funky" UHF connectors, the UG-29B/U will get you
the female to female N series adapter and the UG-57B/U will get you the
male to male adapter.  These are both "short" adapters used for splicing
and not for bulkhead feedthrough.  I'm not aware of longer bulkhead
feedthroughs in the N series.

I really don't know much about N connectors as  I've never felt an
overpowering urge to give up my "funky" UHF connectors and adapters in
favor of a more macho device.  I am happy to report that in 61 years of
using using PL-259 and SO-239 connectors, I have never had a failure due
to water ingress.  In fact the only failure of any kind was the result
of a bolt of lightning that vaporized half of my 80 meter dipole and the
center conductors of the PL-259/SO-239 that were connected to it.  It
also took out the center conductor of the "barrel" that spliced the 1/4
wave matching section to the feedline.  :-)

To get back to the original question...I would check with the RF
Connection for a long feedthrough connector.  http://www.therfc.com/

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr