Re: [TowerTalk] [RFI] Subwoofer resolution

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [RFI] Subwoofer resolution
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:18:03 -0700
At 11:46 PM 8/20/2007, Jim Brown wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:44:42 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:
>
> >I was thinking more for those situations where you have long cable
> >runs, and the common mode voltage difference between the endpoints is
> >a problem.
>
>Of course. And that's a great example of an interface that should be
>balanced!  The high futility industry did us all a great disservice when
>they standardized on unbalanced interfaces to connect their equipment.
>Instead of selling gold plated chassis and cables they could make REAL
>improvements with balanced ins and outs.

Much cheaper to throw on a few microinches of gold or print
directional arrows on the speaker zip cord than it is to actually add
components or change the connector style.  After all, if it was good
enough for RCA back in the 30s , it's good enough for today.  Think
of all the great features: non-constant impedance, unbalanced,
connects signal line BEFORE the ground, easily bent (but at least you
can manually unbend it), and I'm sure there's others.  And, I KNOW
that my stereo sounds better with the arrows on the speaker cables
pointing from amplifier to speakers in the direction of net average
power flow. (I've also taken the precaution of ensuring that the
arrows are on the upper side for horizontal runs, and on the NORTH
side for vertical runs.  I use a large plastic owl on the stereo
cabinet as a true north reference, based on extensive research on TT
archives.<grin>)

Jim, W6RMK