[TowerTalk] Telrex Monoband matching

To: towertalk@contesting.com, paul@ve3sy.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telrex Monoband matching
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 23:29:18 EDT
Paul,

Additional comment on matching your TELREX mono band beams.  Regarding the
two comments below, the Mono-bands did use a Tee matching system set for about
50 ohms impedence.  This system was feed with a coax balun technique that uses
a 1/2 WL cable loop from the main coax feed to the other "hot" terminal of the
driven element.

The triband series of antennas, TM-30D to TB6EM series used a stainless steel
"hairpin" to to raise the normally low antenna source impedance to about 50
ohms (the driven element is electrically short so that a capacitive reactance
appears at the feed point)  The hairpin INDUCTANCE works with that capacitance
to transform the load impedance up to 50 ohms.  This then is matched by a 1:1
coax airwound "balun".   A multiband beam and T match are incompatible as the
T match is frequency specific.  I am not sure what the reference to the 10m
gadjet wire is, but there was a technique of adding a wire to the inside
terminal of the 10m trap and "tuning" the trap to adjust the center frequency
of the
10m driven element. This is the "gimmick" approach to small values of
capacitance.

 My comments to you before were incorrect, and I researched my files for a
more accurate description.  The balun of the day was 1:1 and Hairpins, or
T-matching was used to transform the impedance of the antenna to 50 ohms.

The TELREX beam was in its day, and may yet today, the most rugged beam made.
  No tinker toy 1-1/2" booms like some today, there's was heavy wall 3" booms
with an external center coupler that was 3-1/2 inches in diameter.  Formed U
straps, not U-bolts for fastening to the boom and mast.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

yes, I have a TB6EM and it uses a T-match constructed from #8 aluminum then
fed with a coax balun with a 10m gadet wire (old school) balun.

Most of those old Telrex antennas used a T-Match.
Look in ARRL Handbooks and Antenna Handbooks.
Don
N8DE