Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:17:12 -0500
>The really bad part is that some people are trying to learn from these
articles.

Yes, this is an unfortunate aspect of a publication like QST.  I, too, am
guilty of trying to learn from the technical articles.  However, after being
burned a few times I now know to do my own evaluation.

Many years ago QST staff seemed to think they were the ultimate technical
resource for amateur radio.  Responses to questions about the integrity of
their articles were usually quite terse and often critical of the sender's
question.  The publication seems to be much more user-friendly now.  Perhaps
they gave up on trying to be so accurate.

I am editor of my club's newsletter and try to ensure that faulty technical
articles are not published.  But, I bring issues to the Board rather than
censure on my own.  I believe this is a prime directive for any publication.

73, Keith NM5G