Re: [TowerTalk] Simple Tower Construction

To: kb0fhp@comcast.net, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Simple Tower Construction
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:08:02 +0000
Scott:

     I would not recommend a tilt-over tower on the roof of your house.  The
average residential, framed roof system is not designed to withstand the forces
generated by wind loading on a tower or from raising and lowering a tiltover,
even if guyed at the roof corners.  It can be done, but this must be an
engineerd solution, not something we here in Cyberland can do by remote control
for you.

     You could investigate a small Glen Martin tower for atop your roof.  I
believe some TowerTalkians have installed these and provide some advice.  They
don't go up very high, though - less than twenty feet above the roof from what
I recall.  And the taller ones must be guyed to the corners of the roof.

     You might also consider an alternative - a crank-up along side your house.
 A nearby (to me) ham has one such installation at his hilltop QTH; his
backyard slopes away from his house quite quickly.  He has a KT-34XL on top of
his tower, plus a 2M antenna for FM voice on a sidearm bracket, plus a 2M
packet antenna atop his mast.  He was able to install the antennas initially
from his rooftop.  Over the years the trees have grown closer to his house and
he now must trim the branches to be able to lower his tower.  This is one
inconvenient aspect about a tower on a small, treed suburban lot (like mine,
too.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F