Re: [TowerTalk] Model done for 4SQ supported by center tower

To: "Peter Grillo" <ah3c@frii.com>,"'StellarCAT'" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Model done for 4SQ supported by center tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:55:48 -0800
At 01:38 AM 3/23/2005, Peter Grillo wrote:
>I've had similar thoughts.  Whoever is willing to answer this question might
>wish to suggest hanging vertical dipoles instead of requiring a ground
>planes under the vertical elements.  Structurally, this would be a benefit.
>Same questions apply.  Any takers?

Running a quick NEC model.  4 61 ft elements (1" diam) in a square (1/4
wave on a side), fed at the bottom. 175 ft tower in the middle (modeled as
1ft diameter wire). Using the 0,90,180 across the corner feeding strategy.

10.9 dB Fwd gan, 100 deg BW , 14.6 dB F/B

W/o the tower, 10.7 dB fwd gain, 100 deg BW, 28.3 F/B

Fair amount of current in the tower, 136+j168mA at the base. 101-j69.8 mA
nearer the top, all the elements were fed with 1 Amp.

So the tower actually increases the forward gain (by an insignificant
amount), but screws up the F/B.

You could probably adjust the phasing a bit to fix the F/B