[TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field
From: dennis o'connor <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:21:11 -0700
Interesting that this topic comes up at this moment... Yesterday I finished putting up a 3el vertical beam for 80 meters... It sits in a meadow in the middle of a pine forest sorrounded by 60 foot trees, which are especially dense in the major beam direction (NE)..
The beam is 52 feet high X 70 foot boom length (which is the width of the meadow, else there would be 5 elements :) - with Moxon folded elements making up the REF/DE cell and a folded director out front... Element spacing is 0.125 lambda... ELNEC shows the 3dB horizontal beam width to be 120 degrees, with a low take off angle...
Each element was resonated using an MFJ-259B and measured Z = 36 ohms, X = 0, at the calculated resonance frequency, respectively, after trimming...
Average number of 0.25 lambda radials is 9 (at the moment) under each element...
Feedline is 200' of RG-213 with a measured loss of 1.1dB at 3.5 mc...

The comparison antenna is an Inverted Vee at 95' apex, ~150 feet behind the vertical beam and at a right angle to it (not that rotation means much for a vee)...

Unfortunately, the band was punky into EU last night, and being a week (weak?) night, there were no copyable EU stations on between 2300Z and 0030Z, so I had to content myself with VE and W1 - W2 stations... The consistent difference reported in A-B comparison was 2 S-units stronger on the beam... The EU stations I could hear on the beam (but not make enough copy to call), were below the noise level on the vee...

More testing to come... The inverted vee will become an almost horizontal dipole at ~140' and running N-S, this weekend... This is mostly behind, and to one side, of the beam at a 45 degree angle to it, and ELNEC shows minimal interaction and field distortion between the two, with a markedly improved E-W dipole pattern compared the inverted vee...

K8DO - Denny (SSB) / Doc (CW)

Mailblocks - A Better Way to Do Email
http://about.mailblocks.com/info