[TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:57:42 EST
I wanted to pass this info along since although most of us do it only as part
of our hobby, we do climb.  Be careful up there!

The most recent data from the National Institute of Occupational
Safety showed a fatality rate for tower construction workers of 460
deaths per 100,000 employees. In contrast, the U.S. Department of
Labor reported a fatality rate of 27.7 for construction workers as a
whole, 25.0 for truck drivers 11.6 for police and 4.0 for all
occupations.

The root causes are a combination of factors -- a lack of training,
slipshod construction techniques, inferior safety equipment and
inexperienced workers -- that have made an inherently risky
profession far more dangerous.