[Towertalk] WTB CC XM520 and XM510

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] WTB CC XM520 and XM510
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (k4oj)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:29:21 -0500
You know, I was happy to see those "new" Cushcraft monbanders come out -
they looked like they were built better and everything I usually had to
re-engineer on a Cushcraft yagi had been addressed...yjr high surface
contact of the unique element to boom clamps probably would mean fewer
crooked elements...

Next thing I knew - poof - they were discontinued, I was visiting a ham
about two years ago and he told me that he had picked up these 4
fifteens he was currently building at a good price since CC had closed
them out - what! - seemed like they only had them in their line for
about a year - possibly two - what a shame - some of the clamps, etc
were a big step up from the commercial version of a hombrew yagi that
Cushcraft used to be...

If anyone knows EXACTLY why Cushcraft decided to drop the antennas (and
not what we all suspect that hams are losing interest in HF rapidly) I
would be very interested in learning more...it could be telling.... my
gut tells me that since they also manufacture commercial antennas in the
higher end of the spectrum - they can make similar ham antennas sourcing
similar raw materials but when it comes to the HF antennas they had a
whole nother set of raw material to inventory...

Heck the most recent Cushcraft catalog I received had their 2L 40 meter
yagu and a Log Periodic and I think a 3 element ten as the only
parasitic antennas for hams!  Mebbe they feel that this zoning crud is
here to stay and what is the sense in building stuff nobody will buy
since they can't put it up...

I wonder if they are just deciding not to play in the HF market - and if
so - mebbe I should stock up on pieces and parts for repair of other CC
yagis I have should they be needed!

Still, used Cushcraft yagis will probably be my strong source of supply
for my home brew projects... if K4XS doesn't beat me out in the flea market!

73,

Jim, K4OJ