[Towertalk] Can my 40' tower be a 160m vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Can my 40' tower be a 160m vertical?
From: joe@xyz.net (WL7M)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:08:15 -0800
Jim - Your personal e-mail bounced for some reason, hope you get this reply
through the reflector.......

Hi Jim,

Yes, it can be done! I've had great success with the shunt fed system on my
40 foot tower. I also have an inverted vee and vertical for 80/160, but the
shunt fed tower beats them all. I have to make a trip to Anchorage for the
next few days, but when I return, I'd be happy to try to answer your
questions on any issues you may have.

Basically, the antenna consists of a wire that is attached to a 2.5 foot
aluminum rod about 3 feet below the top of the tower. The wire drops down
toward the ground, and is attached to one side of a variable capacitor. The
center conductor of the coax connects to the other side of the variable
capacitor. Connect a heavy wire from the coaxial shield and connect that to
the base of the tower. That's about it. I used my Autek RF-1 meter to check
the resonance and adjust the capacitor for a match. You will note that the
resonant frequency will change with the closeness of the ground wire to the
base of the tower. I put my capacitor inside a plastic container and that
made it very easy to slide it in and out toward the base. Once I found the
"spot", I left it there and put some heavy bricks on top to keep it from
moving. That's all there is to it!

I hesitated doing this for quite awhile, but I'm really happy to have
finally made the leap! I'm not an antenna wizard, so it was pretty much a
give it a try situation. I'm sure you'll get it on the air too! Let me know
if I can answer questions....I'll be back on Sunday.

73,
Joe
WL7M
Fritz Creek, Alaska