[Towertalk] Force12 C4-SXL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Force12 C4-SXL
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:25:09 -0400
You will find that the tuning of a 40 meter dipole varies nearly as
wildly with such changes in height, it's not a Force 12 thing at all.
Further if the dipole is shortened by any of the various means, it
becomes MORE sensitive to heights </= a 1/2 wave, not less sensitive.
Again not a Force 12 thing, just physics.

The reason it's more obvious on 40 meters is that a halfwave is ~70
feet. The ground is in the NEAR field and able to influence an
element's self-resonance.

Personally, I think it's high time for resurrection of the grid-dip
meter, and setting a LL element's resonance BY ITSELF  >>> !!! AT
HEIGHT !!! <<< to the factory specified resonance settings.

THEN assemble the thing.

The argument about that is that it's too much work. Folks would rather
take the short cut and just assemble and throw it up there.

Except the short cut almost always winds up being a LONG cut. If you
have to climb the tower and lower it to mess with it and put it back
up, you've already lost any advantage by throwing it together and
putting it up.

73