[Towertalk] 25GSSB New? Baseplate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 25GSSB New? Baseplate
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 18:47:03 -0500
Tom (et al)--

In general I agree with you on the EARTH holding up the tower
in typical self supporting tower installations.   BUT I have just
been involved with installing four 80 ft SSVs with lots of
log periodics on each for a commercial installation.

Per Rohn specs these towers  (about 9 ft on a side at the
base) were installed with a single concrete pad that is
only about 4 ft in the ground.  It is 14 x14 ft by about 4.5 ft.

In this case the sheer mass of the concrete seems to be
the main support since typical installations like this (in the
past) were done with smaller concrete piers that went much
deeper into the ground.

It is my understanding that the cost of excavating in some
very rocky situations can exceed the cost of concrete.   So
it is cheaper to build a very large, but somewhat shallow,
concrete base.

For a typical foundation mix this pad turns out to be about
114,000 pounds--a pretty significant change in the C of G.

I haven't done the moments calculations--assume that Rohn
did a good job of CYA.

Just some input to stir the pot, so to speak!     ;-)

73--John   W0UN