[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (WYsixK)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:51:39 -0800 (PST)
I agree that tilting these things over is real iffy.  I admit that mine
is overloaded.  When I tilt it over, the strain is incredible and I
feel it is an accident waiting to happen.  So I quit doing that.  I put
a pulley on the top of the mast and use an electric winch to raise and
lower antennas.  I have three big yagis on a 22 foot mast with nearly
20 feet above the tower.  I put steps on the mast and climb it when
necessary.

My base is no risk. The tower is a Tri-ex LM470 70 footer.  The base is
in something like 7 yards of concrete in a hole that was over 7' deep
and 5 feet square.

I feel tons safer doing this than when I climb 90 foot fixed tower.
The method I now use to raise and lower antennas is also a lot safer
than the fiddling around that goes with moving antennas up and down
guyed towers.

Michael