[TowerTalk] Loss in Coax Switches ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loss in Coax Switches ?
From: k3hx@juno.com (tttt ccccc)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:56:06 -0500
Here are some measurements I made on 3 coaxial switches.

I used a venerable HP 3677 and performed the tedious "full port cal"
before each

device was tested.

#1      Alpha-Delta             Delta-4 UHF connectors

Thru loss               30 mHz  50.1 mHz        146.52 mHz

Common-1                .019dB  .026dB  .11dB

Common-2                .024dB  .037dB  .13dB

Common-3                .017dB  .036dB  .15dB

Common-4                .020dB  .026dB  .11dB

Isolation between any 2 ports at 146.52 mHz over 60dB

#2      Diawa                   CS-201  UHF connectors

                                                        Thru Loss at 146.52 mHz

Common-1                                                .117dB

Common-2                                                .2    dB

                Isolation from unselected port at 146.52

Common-1                                                73dB

Common-2                                                76dB

#3      Barker & Williamson     5 position rotary, 6 UHF connectors on a
                                        hexagonal aluminum box (model number
obscured)

Common-any port         30 mHz  50 mHz  146.52 mHz

Thru loss                       .001 dB .3 dB           .05 dB

Isolation                       40 dB           37 dB           27-30 dB

I was surprised at how well the B&W switch performed.

73

Tim  K3HX

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.