[TowerTalk] coax as capacitor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coax as capacitor
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:08:12 -0600
I've been doing this for decades on my Omega matched
rotary dipoles for 30 and 40M using TH6 and 3L20M booms.
I like to cut off 1/2 inch of jacket and braid at the end, then
tape, to prevent arc over.  For longer pieces, I coil them up,
but be sure to physically attach them to the same tubing the
braid is connected to since the breakdown voltage of the jacket
is MUCH less than the breakdown voltage of the dielectric.

Note that 50 ohm cables have roughly 29 to 30 pF per foot
and 75 ohm cables are around 20+ pF (I hope I remember that right).
Also, remember that solid dielectric cables have much higher (~3X)
breakdown voltage than foam cables.

Tom  N4KG

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001  Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> writes:

> Is it feasible to use coaxial cable as the series capacitor in a
> shunt feed
> system, simply pruning the length of cable as appropriate?  Or is
> there
> some reason why not?
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
>

> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer?
> Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers
> - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!