[TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling Question Update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling Question Update
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:31:47 -0400
Hank,

You asked four questions:

1. EZNEC works fine.  You need to be an experienced Windows, PC and software
user to use it.  I have modeled all of my antennas/stacks/towers etc.  It is
able to show the interaction between the antennas on the same and on
different towers and their patterns very nicely.  I'm not sure what
navigation problem you had.

2.  EZNEC will provide answers for your questions about the performance of
the 10M stack, the 10 ele at the top, the 10 ele 10 and the 6 ele 20
interaction, etc.  No need to get opinions.  The model will tell you all you
need to know.

3.  Your last question, however, is not something EZNEC will answer.  That
is the question about the tower loading with all those antennas.  I'd
suggest you first look at a ROHN catalog, add up all of your windloads and
see which ROHN tower  of the height you need is in the ballpark, load-wise.
That is, which one will handle your loading just based on the ROHN
information in the catalog.  That will ballpark it.  You should have a PE
mechanical engineer do the complete analysis to assure yourself that it will
be safe.  You'll probably need that for any building permit as well.  Even
if you don't need a permit, the PE analysis will let you sleep better at
night.

4.  There are several ways to match stacks.  WX0B and Top Ten Devices makes
matching systems.  There's also the tried and true 1/4 wave coax matching
system (that I use!).   Putting a relay box switch on the tower adds another
point of failure.  Equal lengths of coax back to the shack with manual
switching of 1/4 wave matching coax eliminates that failure point.  Relay
switching is faster to perform than manual switching. So there are a number
of methods to solve the problem, each with their own advantages and
disadvantages.

GL es 73,

Bill, N3RR