[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:31:14 EST
In a message dated 1/15/01 10:02:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> Do you want to do it "right" or "good enough"? Your source is correct
>  that Rohn tower sections are actually stronger than their published
>  figures. The design rules are likely to be 200-300% over the rated loads.

    I don't think that's right. The figures I've seen are 30-50%. The problem
is that wind pressures do not go up linearly - the pressures go up
geometrically. You run out of engineering overhead real quick if your tower
takes a gust higher than your design windspeed. For instance, a wind 71 MPH
exerts windpressure of 20 PSF; a gust at 87 MPH has a force of 30 PSF - a 50%
increase for a 16 MPH increase in windspeed.

    The LXC Prime Directive still applies - DO what the manufacturer says.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech