[TowerTalk] 4 square arrays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 square arrays
From: n7koj@sprynet.com (Joel Harrington)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:07:17 -0700
I am curious if anyone has built and operated a 4 square array (40, 80 and
160m) surrounded by large trees.  As an example, I live within a very wooded
(thick) area in the Pacific Northwest with large 150'+ Douglas Fir trees.  I
know I must deal with the normal large wildlife challenges, trees falling down
or limbs breaking off during a windstorm.  I expect maintenance headaches.  The
trees do provide very nice 150' "towers" for hanging antennas.  Special
attention with pulleys and counterweights is a must to avoid wires breaking due
to the trees swaying in the wind.

I would enjoy hearing your 4 square array "in the woods" experiences - good and
bad.  My goal is to construct a 4 square deep in the woods.  Clearing a couple
of acres of trees is not an option right now.

73,

Joel - N7LF
Corbett, OR