[TowerTalk] VHF Simplex Help needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] VHF Simplex Help needed
From: k0il@mitec.net" <k0il@mitec.net (Ed - K0iL)
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:35:25 -0500
Mike Nash, ND6A wrote:
> The Problem: A new building built to house inmates is in the need of some
> type of radio system.
> The scenario: Building is all concrete, steel and rebar, and handheld
> operation is desired from anywhere to anywhere in the building. VHF on a
> simplex channel is about the only way we can go.
> My solution: A combination of passive radiators, and Radi-ax. The passive
> radiators on each of the housing units, and Radi-ax running through the
> floors and ceilings in Administration areas.
> Thanks  Mike...ND6A

Howdy Mike:
I think you have the best solution already.  We did the same thing in our
nuclear power plant when we added them to our trunked 800 Mhz system.
 Andrew's Radiax throughout the plant's corridors linked via yagis to the
nearest site.  Provides good coverage inside the plant, even the lead lined
Containment bldg; although we installed some mobile antennas in the rafters
there and a little bit of radiax below.  It's the only thing I've ever h
eard of that really works!  You will need active amps here and there as
required by coverage.

73,
de ed -K0iL
Comm Engr for OPPD