[TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:11:02 EDT

> >      What tower flex? You mean torsionally? That'll happen no matter what
>  guy material you use.
>
>  But is not Phillystran more flexible at the same tension than EHS?  Thus
>  would
>  it not allow a little more sway under high wind gust conditions?

      Flexible? That's not a term used in tower/guy specs. The momentary
'stretch' (if any - I'm not an engineer either) of these materials is of no
practical consequence. I'm assuming of course that you follow the
manufacturer's specs in all cases.

>  >      Vibration? Haven't run across that one before.
>
>  Are not the strands of EHS more stiff (and-to-end) than Phillystran, thus
>  vibrations
>  initiated at any point would be transmitted to anything connected?  Or do
>  the insulators  effectively deaden that?

      Even *if* measureable, it's of no practical consequence.

>  >       Joint stress? Leg compression is the biggest factor in tower
forces.
>  > The leg joints are stronger than the rest of the leg.
>
>  I was imaging the tower swaying a bit in 125-150mph gusts and rocking
around
>  the connecting bolts.  (Sounds like something from a song, "rocking around
>  the tower bolts, have a happy hurricane ..."  :-)  )

     The whole tower structure is designed for different windload/windspeed
scenarios and they DON'T rock.

>  >       While I don't have the technical data in front of me, if you're
>  asking
>  > about possible elongation of EHS and Phillystran - for our ham purposes
>  they
>  > are both small enough that you don't have to worry about it.
>
>  Not permanent elongation but momentary under high stress moments?

       Even *if* measureable, it's of no practical consequence.

>  >      Here's a suggestion - use the EHS-with-insulators on the bottom set
>  and
>  > 50% Phillystran/EHS on the top set. I think this'll reduce your risk
>  exposure
>  > while giving you some Phillystran benefits.
>
>  50%?  I would use a 4 guy top rather than three?  Will have to explore
that.

       What's a "4 guy top"? 50% refers to the top half of the guy being
Phillystran and the bottom half being EHS w/insulators.

      Most of these questions that you are asking are things that you are
perceiving that don't have any practical considerations. You're over-thinking
the whole structure. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. If you're
worried about Phillystran being more likely to be cut by things flying
through the air - then use EHS w/insulators. And get an engineer involved.
Everything else is background noise.

Cheers,   Steve  K7LXC