[TowerTalk] K-factor Revisited

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] K-factor Revisited
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 13:15:11 +0000
At 07:55 AM 3/2/99 -0500, Tom wrote:

>Date sent:             Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:01:58 -0500
>From:                  Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
>Subject:               Re: [TowerTalk] K-factor Revisited
>To:                    towertalk@contesting.com
>

>> This is why I'd be interested in seeing a number for maximum wind+momentum
>> torque (at a specified wind speed) given as part of rotary antenna specs.
>
>A simple lb/foot rating would work. The lb/ft torque it can output,
>the lb/ft torque it can hold with the brake, and the lb/ft where it has
>a short life.

Trying again ... we need these numbers as part of ANTENNA specs.  My Yaesu
rotator manual gives maximum braking and rotating torque values (granted,
we should probably stay somewhat below those for the sake of lifetime).
What we don't know is forces applied to rotators by antennas.  Force 12 is
the only manufacturer I know that states worst-case wind-induced torque
values (at 70 mph).  It's nice to know that my current array is well within
those values, particularly for braking.  Maybe that's why it hasn't failed
yet.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Loud is.