[TowerTalk] Hazer and good platform grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hazer and good platform grounding
From: barrie99@marsweb.com (barrie99@marsweb.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 22:44:43 -0700
Jim Henderson wrote:

>         I am trying to help a local OM with a 50' amuminum Glem Martin tower
> and
> hazer platform. This platform rides to 3 corners of the tower on what looks
> like black Delrin and thus does not come anywhere to a good DC or RF ground.
>
>         We were trying to mount  some 1/4 slopers on the platform, but due to
> the
> Delrin bearing surfaces, there is no good path to the tower itself. He
> cannot and will not take the tower down to allow work on the top, and won't
> let it be climbed. Thus we are trying to figure out a good way of keeping
> the platform well grounded to the tower yet allow it to move up and down
> without binding.
>
>         I thought of making metal rollers to replace the Delrin.
>
>          I am looking for any other ideas that any reflectee may have
> successfully
> used to improve grounding so that the platform may be used as the feedpoint
> for a conventional coax-fed 1/4 sloper?
>
> Jim, KF7E
> (now in Phoenix)
> Jim Henderson
>
> jhenders@swlink.net
> jhenders@zianet.com
>
> --
I have been using a hazer on my 18" Glen Martin tower for over ten
years.  I noticed the lack of grounding of the hazer early on.  My
solution was to attach a wide piece of thin sheet aluminum, which was
about 8" long, to each hazer leg, using mounting holes which were about
6" apart.  This resulted in the thin shhets of aluminum to be bent out
such as:  ).  They then were "springy", and rubbed on the tower legs in
this manner:  )|.

These "contacts" seemed to work FB.  They appeared to make good contact
at any position of elevation.  Being aluminum to aluminum, there was no
dissimilar metal problem.  Each time you raise or lower the hazer you
clean the contacts.

Barrie, W7ALW