[TowerTalk] Rotor and Installation for A3S with 40m extension

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor and Installation for A3S with 40m extension
From: joens@thecia.net" <joens@thecia.net (Michael C. Joens)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 22:17:39 -0500
I have a Cushcraft A3S with 40m extension (currently on the ground). There
are a couple things I'd like to run by the experts:

1. What would be the preferred rotor for this kind of antenna (31 lbs, 14ft
boom, 5 sq ft windload)? I've been considering: Hygain CD45-II, Yaesu
G450A, Yaesu G800S. According to the data sheets, either one will do. Based
on the outcome of question 2, I have to consider that the antenna will sit
on a 5 ft mast held by the rotor without a thrust bearing. I've also
considered getting a used Ham M or II, but I'm apprehensive of buying
someone else's problems.

2. Tower, roof tower or long mast: Putting up a long mast on the side of
the house holds some appeal because I wouldn't have to build a tower. City
ordinance limits the hight to 20 over the peak of the house anyway and the
"local zoning board" wants things to look neat. Is it feasible to hold an
A3S+ with just a mast, say 5 or 10 ft over the peak of the house, plus the
5 ft mast in the rotor?

Another option would be a roof tower. The house is old, and the rafters are
further apart than "16 inches on center". I'm worried about the roof's
stability, and I wouldn't go more than 5 or 6 ft plus the mast in the rotor
above the peak of the roof. The house is a "Dutch Colonial" the kind with a
steep and a shallow part of the roof. It's possible to walk on the top
part.

Or is a separate tower (Rohn 25), attached to the side of the house to meet
ordinance requirements, my only "reasonable" option? I don't anticipate
putting any larger antennas up in the foreseeable future.

Thank you for any advice I can get. BTW, I have searched the towertalk
archives, but couldn't quite come up with the specific answers I'm looking
for.

Michael, K1JE
k1je@amsat.org   or   Michael_Joens@millipore.com