[TowerTalk] aiming a rotor: true vs. magnetic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aiming a rotor: true vs. magnetic
From: Barry Oliver" <barryo@msn.com (Barry Oliver)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:56:09 -0800
Lane,

You probably want your beam referenced to True north since most beam heading
charts and software are based on True. So, point the beam to True north and
make the rotor indicator show North.

In very broad terms, Chicago has no magnetic variation (declination) so a
beam pointing to True north would be in the same direction as Magnetic
north.

If you are east of Chicago then Magnetic north is west of True north so line
your beam up on magnetic north and then turn it to the right (clockwise
looking down on the beam from above) the number of degrees of variation in
your area. Aeronautical charts would refer to this as XX degrees West
variation.

Those living west of Chicago would turn the beam left (counterclockwise) to
compensate for variation. Aeronautical charts would refer to this as XX
degrees East variation.

USGS charts, aeronautical Sectional or WAC charts or a call to the local
airport will get the variation in your area.

Barry Oliver
WB0GHU