[TowerTalk] How bend aluminum tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How bend aluminum tubing
From: n1rui@together.net (James C. Marciniak)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 22:45:24 -0700
Hi Steve,

Try a HICKEY!

A Hickey is a bending device electricians use to bend EMT (aluminum
pipe), and they can be bought at electrical supply houses or large
hardware stores for a reasonable price like $10 - $15 depending on the
size. They are generally available for 1/2, 3/4, 1" and 1-1/4" EMT, and
can also be used on next-smaller sizes of "thick-wall" tubing; thus a
3/4" hickey will bend 3/4 thinwall aluminum, or 1/2" thick-wall aluminum
tubing.

You will also need a short (4 foot or so) length of threaded galvanized
pipe to use as a handle for the hickey. The formula for where to begin a
bend so the 90 degree elbow back is precisely a specific distance from
the end of the pipe is generally embossed right on the bender, so you
should have an easy time of it.

Have fun,

Jim  N1RUI

Steve Lawrence wrote:

> I need to put a 90 degree bend in 1/2 inch 1/16 wall antenna element
> aluminum tubing. Suggestions for applying a reasonably smooth radius
> without cracking or excessively fatiguing the aluminum will be appreciated.
>
> Tks & 73, Steve WB6RSE
>
> --

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful,is the
basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is
more stupidity than hydrogen,and that is the basic building block of the
universe."
 - Frank Zappa