[TowerTalk] Safety Factor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Safety Factor
From: Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 8:25 -0800
     Dear Talkians:

     What is the reason for the concern about the safety factor in Rohn
     designs. Is the reason to understand the limitations of the system or
     is it to add additional loading to the system because there is a
     safety factor.

     Safety factors are the backup in a system design. They are there to
     account for the variables beyond the control of the designer or
     manufacturer. They account for misalignment, materials imperfections,
     misuse/abuse of the system by the end user.

     One utilizes the cushion of the built in safety factor at his own risk
     and suffers the consequences of his actions, intentional or otherwise.

     My adice to the reflector is to know there is a safety factor, but use
     the published limits. I think someone else on the reflector shares the
     same philosophy.

     Thanks for the bandwidth

     Hank Lonberg P.E. /KR7X