[TowerTalk] Antenna tuner recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna tuner recommendations
From: mai@iquest.net (Patrick Croft)
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:40:19 -0400 (EDT)
Doug -
Might want to look over the Nye Viking MBVA.  Additionally, many older (thus
available on the used market) offer a higher value for your dollar IMO.  A
used MB five will cost you $350-$450, but it will actually handle a real KW.
Check the reviews - example; MFJ 989C won't handle much over 600-700 watts
if SWR gets wide (4:1 or more).  Some of the older tuners such as the
Dentron MT3000, Heath 2040, 2060, Murch 2000 series, etc. have served some
hard users for decades.  Might also want to consider building your own, and
including all the features the commercial units don't due to costs -
switchable external cps, T,L and/or Pi configuration, etc.

Tuners and amps are excellentt areas for homebrewing circles around
production items and enjoying friuts other than opening a box and connecting
a cable.

Bests,

Patrick
WB9IQI