[TowerTalk] Mast safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast safety
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 02:05:32 -0700
wf3h wrote:

> Here's a different one. Friend has a 2 meter antenna which needs to be
> replaced. antenna is at top of mast...about 15' up the mast. to reach it,
> steps have been built on the mast about 3/4 of the way up. mast is 2"
> chrome-moly. wind was brisk today so didnt climb up to get the
> antenna...any comments on the situation?
>
> --

You don't state how thick the wall of the 2" mast is.  I have a 2" O.D.x
3/16 " wall chromally mast with a yield strength of 110,000 lbs
certified by the vendor.  Last fall, I had a licensed tower service
adjust the mast clamp for my 80 M rotatable dipole (Force12 EF-180C) at
the top of this 18 ft mast, which protrudes 15 ft out of the top of my
tower top plate for a total of 149 ft above ground.

The tower crew climbed the tower and one of them climbed the mast in
pouring, pouring drenching rain.  They couldn't quite adjust it, so
after 10 minutes on the mast, they came down off the tower.

Mast steps are pretty standard if you know your mast and appreciate the
risks.

Bill, N3RR