Yaesu Rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Yaesu Rotors
From: Dave_Raymond-CSUS04@email.mot.com (Dave Raymond-CSUS04)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 15:36:00 -0500
     For whatever it's worth, N0AMI (Jim), located here in Des Moines
     recently replaced his Tailtwister with a G1000SDX rotor.  The
     tailtwister had finally failed after six years of turning the large
     KLM Log Periodic (with the 40 meter kit).  This antenna is on a 42'
     boom.  Ths antenna, however, is well below the maximum wind load
     specified by Yaesu.

     We installed the G1000 with high hopes...we all thought the control
     box was rather nifty but we questioned the very light weight of the
     rotor itself.  Upon the 100th day of operation, the G1000 failed.  Jim
     has a weather station at his qth and had recorded no winds over 50
     mph.  We pulled out the new G1000 and replaced it with a spare
     Tailtwister.  After we got down on the ground, we discovered the
     problem.  When you shook the G1000, it sounded like there were scores
     of loose pieces inside (probably bearings?).  We didn't dare open it
     up!

     Sooo, based on that experience, I would think twice about using a
     G1000 to turn any heavy loads or antennas with long booms.

     73,

     Dave
     WA0FLS

     P.S.  The spare Tailtwister is still in place and working.