Re: Topband: Stew Perry 160 test this weekend

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Perry 160 test this weekend
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@k0xp.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:05:30 -0700
On 3/10/2024 5:27 AM, Roger Kennedy wrote:
Well I think I spoke too soon . . .

Although there was DX propagation, signals seemed well down this side of the
pond.

Roger G3YRO

I heard very few east coasters working Europe early last evening. OTOH,
we seemed to have great propagation between SoCal and all along the
upper east coast; I was hearing and working whatever I could hear as
much as 15 minutes BEFORE sunset from the desert, including FK09, FN64
and FN20! At that time (0145 - ~03Z), I heard only a few other
westerners; it was as though most the other W6s were waiting until after
dark before getting on. Static crashes? What static?? The band seemed
abnormally quiet, to me. Unfortunately, I had to go away after 0430Z.

But my impression was that activity was WAY down; there were kHz between
CQers, so no adjacent CQing QRM that I heard, and NO activity above 1840
(at least, not until after 0430Z, when I left), and almost none below 1810.

Steve, K0XP