Re: Topband: Bob K4UEE silent key

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bob K4UEE silent key
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 21:00:39 +0000
Sorry to hear.

Bob was kind and helpful to newcomers to the Topband as well.

In 1993 Bob was with the AH1A DXpedition. I was using a balloon supported ¼
wave vertical to try to work AH1A. Early Sunday morning of the CQ 160 contest
that year as the sun began to peek over the horizon, I copied AH1A calling CQ
with a good signal. I looked out the window – oh no! The balloon had lost
helium and now my antenna wire was floating only about 6 feet above the ground.
No time to refill or fix it. I went ahead and called... AH1A came right back
and logged. At Dayton I met Bob and thanked him for the contact. Told him about
the antenna situation. He laughed,  said "well done." And use a better balloon
next time!

  *   Jon N0JK

Many topbanders bagged a 'rare' new one on topband tnx to Bob.

RIP, old friend.

Mark - on4ww.