Topband: CQ 160 Blog W7RH portable (Response to Tree)

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ 160 Blog W7RH portable (Response to Tree)
From: Bob Kile <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:41:27 +0000
Copy of email response to Tree re: CQ160

Hi Tree,

Winter operation of my remote is very iffy for battery status and is often not accessible due to weather. I had a opportunity to operate from Texas at a K7CA air B&B. It was a real experience for this old guy.

I arrived Tuesday evening in heavy fog and rain in Freeport, TX. Fiber glass masts were drop shipped there from DX Engineering. The tool kit included Ameritron AL1306 and SUN SDR2DX with a bunch of wire. Wednesday the 50ft top loaded vertical with two elevated radials went up but remained un-tuned in heavy rain. By evening Thursday I had a K9AY up and working without a pre-amp.

Things were not looking good. Trashed by stationary thunderstorms and very heavy rain there was no operation until Friday the start of the contest. It stormed and rained 3.5 inches overnight. We originally planned a multi operation but that was scrapped before 2200 hours UTC with 20 0ver S-9 thunderstorm QRM that lasted well into Saturday evening. Tree it was horrible! I had stationary storms North and over head with another large storm just south in the gulf. I think I worked only 79 stations first night S&P cherry picking those above the noise. It was very bad luck. The storms hung in the Galveston area for three days before moving east late Saturday.

The K9AY was not great but a face saver in that I could hear and work some Pacific DX Saturday. Due to limited space it was too close to the transmit antenna that I could not detune during TX, but it got me some urban operation ears. The TX antenna worked very well, too well for the RX capabilities. It was a 50ft top loaded vertical with two quarter wave elevated radials. I'm sold on that concept!

In the series of events I was not able to get a good feel for propagation. The K9AY worked but signals were obviously way down. Propagation favored East and West with good coverage to South America. Signals to the north were very attenuated. The signal to noise ratio was however improved enough to call CQ Saturday night. I had hoped to work EU Friday and lots of JA Saturday morning but had to work left overs Saturday when conditions improved. All in all very difficult for this OLD guy who has less than 50% hearing.

Would I do it again? Hell yes! Plans are to return next year to a beach front house on the gulf itself

73

Bob W7RH