Re: Topband: INV-L Radiation Patterns: 15 years of experiments with one

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: INV-L Radiation Patterns: 15 years of experiments with one L, one tree, and 3 acres.
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:44:51 -0800
Multiple misunderstandings here. First, the earth is a big resistor, so the only function of that ground rod is lightning protection, and it ought to be at the shack, not at the antenna.

Second, the function of radials is NOT to couple to the resistive earth, but the SHIELD the antenna's field from the lossy earth, and to provide a low resistance path for return current.

Third, SWR is NOT a measure of antenna performance.

Fourth, the feedpoint Z of a vertical at resonance is a function of its vertical height. That Z is a combination of loss in the return (radials, counterpoise) and the radiation resistance; radiation resistance increases with vertical height, starting out quite low for short heights, reaching values in the range of 30 ohms around a quarter wave. For low heights, ground losses combine with radiation resistance to yield low SWR. Adding radials and/or increasing height can reduce SWR, then as more are added, increase SWR again.

There's a discussion about all of this in this set of slides for talks I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several clubs.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

Again, SWR is NOT a measure of antenna performance. Neither is how much DX we work -- that's far more dependent on propagation, and on RX noise at both ends of the QSO.

73, Jim K9YC