Topband: 160m Mobile

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m Mobile
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 16:00:20 -0000
I was only 14 when I first got my Full Licence, so obviously couldn't
operate Mobile . . .

But I made a 160m Handheld ! This was a 1 watt crystal controlled Tx, built
into to an AM radio I converted to Top Band, and used the Audio amp as the
Modulator.

All the locals were on 160m AM in those days . . . so with just a 4 foot
telescopic whip I regularly worked stations 5 to 10 miles away . . . best
contact was 20 miles.

Later on I operated Top Band mobile on and off for years with a neat little
homebrew SSB Transceiver . . . and about 8 years ago I decided to come back
on 160m mobile with a TS-50S and a small antenna mounted on the roof. It's
base-loaded with just an 18 inch long slim loading coil, with a 3ft
telescopic whip on top. I regularly work all over the country on SSB with
that . . . if I re-tune it to the bottom end of the band I have also worked
a number of Europeans.

Having talked to several antenna experts about it, most agree that on Top
Band it's actually the Car Body that does most of the radiating (most cars
only have about 300pF capacity to ground), which is why I do so well with
such a small antenna.

As has been said, it's really good on long journeys, keeping you company if
you're on your own.

Roger G3YRO