Re: Topband: Elevated Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:32:59 -0800
On 1/5/2024 11:32 AM, Frank W3LPL wrote:
Unless you live on a salt march (there aren't many in Ohio 😉,
horizontally polarized antennas are significantly more efficient than
verticals on every band except 160 meters, even if 80 meter horizontally
polarized  antennas ore only 70 feet high and 40 meter antennas are
only about 50 feet high.

YES! This is entirely consistent with an extensive modeling study I published about ten years ago on how horizontal and vertical antennas interact with ground. In essence, horizontal antennas care greatly about height but hardly at all about ground quality, while verticals are VERY strongly dependent on ground quality in both the near and far field.

The study allowed me to develop a Figure of Merit in dB for the height of horizontally polarized antennas on 80 and 40M. The study also showed that a quarter-wave is the optimum height for NVIS, and that only a few dB is lost up to a half-wave.

The study also showed that the typical multi-band HF vertical benefits from mounting at typical roof-top heights, provided that those that are essentially loaded/trapped quarter wave designs have at least a couple of radials per band. Two reasons for the benefit -- first, reduced ground losses, second a better vertical pattern.

The write-up I published of the study is here.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

NCJ wanted to publish it, but HQ publishing couldn't deal with the graphs. It was peer-reviewed by sharp engineers when I presented it at an NCCC meeting. Vertical vs horizontal is quite consistent with my on-the-air experience. For a couple of years, I had a 160 dipole at about 120 ft in addition to a 100 ft Tee vertical with a lot of radials, and did a lot of comparisons. The dipole rarely beat the vertical. Another observation -- during the daylight hours of 160M contests, I can reliably work good stations up to about 800 miles with the Tee; with the dipole, never even a QRZ? The logic is simple -- even at 120 ft, it's a low dipole on 160M. :)

73, Jim K9YC