Topband: Timor Leste report Nov 17

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Timor Leste report Nov 17
From: Dietmar Kasper <dl3dxx@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 17:59:57 +0100
Hi topbanders.
Propagation has become worse. After making a new remote US beverage out of the
village
we today built another remote EU beverage. It is silent, too silent ? Feeding
75 Ohms
TV cable is about 450 meters long. At the evening I needed a break, so station
was
taken over by another operator to try FT8. He mostly worked JA and a few US we
almost
have worked the night before in CW.

The source of noise we were able to detect by turning the 6m beam. It is the
village power distribution :-(

Back to the band now but 160m is completely dead. Listened to VK6LW who was
CQing
for while but worked nobody. A pity, so I cannot test new EU beverage.
80m op stated, that it workes, 80m is open a little bit.

In cluster I read anonymus complaint about only working FT8 for NA and Asia.
The situation is that we are running FT8 when CW does not result in any
contacts.
Why not to EU ? I myself did not and will not work any FT8.

Same as I have to accept that some people use this mode they must accept vise
versa
that I dont work FT8. Our operator does but he stops when he go sleep.
He runs 160m FT8 attended. As I know DXCC rule state that automatic contacts do
not
count for DXCC so station must be attended during traffic.

I have heard that some DXped dont care about it and running the station
unattended
because there is no way of proof, BUT WE DO CARE.

With better RX capabilities also the EU demand will be reduced for sure.
I am impatient the band may open soon.

73 Dietmar DL3DXX