Re: Topband: Remote operation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Remote operation
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:25:52 -0300
Tree and everyone:

Sadly, cheating has "always been a thing".(I'd like to think a little "less
so" in ham radio)_I love this hobby and the great people I've met because of
it.

Back in the early 1990's there was a K7 station from the PNW(no, not
K7RAT,hi)  who had some kind of landline remote to my part of the world (we
never could find out where) and he would work all this EU DX.this was on 6m.

Fast forward to today and "remotes" are a really common thing now. As
recently as maybe 1-2 yrs ago I have "worked" Italy on 160m near my sunrise
with huge signals. If we're doing the math, that's 6 hours after sunrise in
Rome.  Normally I would never-ever remove a QSO from my contest log but when
I hear rotten stuff like this, I 100% know it's bogus and delete it or just
not log it.

We see regular messages from UY0ZG complaining about cheaters and remotes
but I don't know the solution.  I could say to Nick "ignore it" but it
waters down all the other accomplishments the vast majority of the rest of
us hard working honest players, DXers, casuals on the bands, make.  I've
been beat by cheaters and it doesn't feel good.

I know there are guys in Canada who "power cheat" (or operate assisted or
have a 2nd op) by entering as QRP or LP but are running the full bucket of
goo.etc.

So, whether remote, telnet (while claiming SO) or gobs of power, 2nd/3rd op,
to my mind, there may only be one thing that might work?.  Shaming.
(although I don't think these fellas normally have high moral values)

It's like I tell folks who I encounter who may hint at a cheat.

1-you have to sleep at night

and

2-you have to look at that face in the mirror in the morning.

Are you happy with who you see looking back?

Mike VE9AA

---------

While I hesitate to post this, at some point, this behavior needs to be

called out for what it is.

Believe it or not - there is a station who has a well established pattern

of working DX on 160 meters from "California".  I use quotes here, because

this station claims to be in California, or the grid DM04, when they

actually aren't.

Six land is not that far from my QTH and during the CQ 160 CW contest, I

was able to record the whole contest while this station worked about 45

Europeans - many before sunset in W6.  With my QTH in Oregon about 1500 km

away, I would easily be able to hear this station if they were transmitting

from home.

Contesting gives multipliers for states and when those states are not

really what you are working, it makes things unfair.  I know in the CQ 160

CW contest - those QSOs were removed and credit not given for the QSO.  It

was indicated in their report file (so those stations know clearly whom I

am writing about).

Just because someone says they are in one place, you should look for clues

that maybe something isn't right.  If you have any suspicions, please make

note of them and inform the contest sponsor.

Tree

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB