Re: Topband: VO1HP

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VO1HP
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 17:41:20 +0000
Frank: VO1HP is an old time call in my logbooks. Just looked through
my computer log and see contacts on 160-80-40-20-6 meters since 2015.
But I bet there are many more in the old paper logs going back to
1956! ( Ive held this call since 1956, as a 14 yr old kid who fell in
love with amateur radio and cw. Within a year I had myself a
"Lightning Bug, " and still do. But at 81, the fist is slowing down a
bit and the butt doesnt sit as long as it used to, without protesting.
Plus my contest scores seem to get punished a bit more by those
contest log-checking computers, with each passing year. ( I started
noticing this about 3 yrs ago.)

Best of luck on the WAZ quest. I havent checked my stats on that one,
but am down to nine remaining DX entities: Spratley-Pratas-Scarborough
Reef-Kerguelen-No-Korea -Bangladesh-Mt Athos-Myanmar-Price
Edward/Marion Islands. Most of those uninhabited rocks/sandspits make
the going exceedingly slow these days. Plus we've downsized (no more
towers/204BA/KT34XA killer ants.) Ants are primarily an all-wire
antenna farm but with 2 el vert phased arrays on 40 and20m, plus a 5
el yagi on 6m, and a recently added 10m Moxon at 18 ft. FWIW My 30m GP
was good enough to work Bhutan and Bouvet over the past 3 years, but
the pickings are slim, esp with the many vacation like /digital
dxpeditions.

W3HKK is 95% cw, 4% ssb and