Re: Topband: Topband DX/NVIS

To: W3HKK@roadrunner.com, "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband DX/NVIS
From: Gene Smar via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 21:47:58 +0000 (UTC)

Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100 laptop computer
<snip>Note: A friend is convinced that a low wire just a few ft off the
ground, on land adjacent to a freshwater lake will produce booming
signals for NVIS purposes.<snip>
The military radio collector group to which I belong tried something similar in
the valleys of the Pocono Mountains of NE PA during a hamfest there a few years
back. The Vietnam vets who had been in spec ops had us unroll an 80M dipole and
hold it at eye level by pulling on the guy ropes while they transmitted through
it at 50W on SSB from a PRC-47. We managed to talk back to the NCS at base camp
two mountain valleys away loud and clear, while a Ham from upstate NY joined in
on the fun. The vets told us they used this low antenna trick all the time
while out on their LRRPs.
<snip>All antennas are fun. Some more than others.
<snip>
That they are.
73 de Gene Smar AD3F