Topband: I asked AI how to make more Stew Perry Contacts!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: I asked AI how to make more Stew Perry Contacts!
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:04:45 +0100
Joe I used to have the kind of CW note I think you are talking about.  It
was deliberately very "pingy" . . . a bit like a bell ringing.

I achieved it on my homebrew CW rig . . . then when I got my FT-101E (that I
used for decades to work DX on 160m) I managed to make it sound much the
same.

Not everybody liked it . . . but you certainly recognised me by the sound in
a Contest or DX Pile-up ! (a friend of mine went on several DX-peditions
around the world . . . and he said he recognised me straight away through
the pile-up)

However, when my TS-930S became my main rig, I was unable to do anything to
make it sound the same (all because of the complicated keying logic).
Several people noticed the change, and told me they missed my distinctive
note.

So maybe in one of the Contests I will try using my FT-101, just to generate
some nostalgia LOL !

73 Roger G3YRO
Actually,
I have been contesting since 1975, and every now and then I do come
across a station that has a CW tone, that is not the pure "Tone"  But I
do not know how to describe it. But is super smooth and pleasant to
hear, kind of like music? maybe is a combination of two close together
tones? I don't know, but it is just  like ringing a bell smooth tone.
Always loved it but have no clue to know how to describe it or how it
was made.

Joe WB9SBD