Re: Topband: Stew Perry Topband Challenge

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Perry Topband Challenge
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:07:33 -0400
It started off OK here near Indianapolis but as darkness moved West from
here the QRN went way up from the Thunderstorms centered above KS, OK, and
AR.  As an example my noise floor when beaming West using my 300 degree
pointed pennant RX antenna was peaking 24 dB above my normal noise floor
most of the time due to the Thunderstorms.  My 40 degree pointed pennant
really knocked down the QRN from the Thunderstorms out West which helped me
hear the East coast stations.  Big Thunderstorms were also located above FL
and my noise floor listening South using my 160 degree pointed pennant was
also much higher than normal.

I stayed up until European SR and went to bed at 0445 UTC, and then jumped
back on for a few minutes at 0926 UTC to put 3 more stations in the log
before calling it quits.  I heard nothing out of Europe.

I personally thought it was brutal but my QSO numbers maybe indicat it was
not as bad as I felt it was.  Big thanks to K7RAT and K7QA for the only
high QSO points besides QRP stations that I was able to obtain using my
little 100 watt station.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)