Re: Topband: WSPR and topband

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: WSPR and topband
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:27:05 -0700
On 4/26/2023 8:30 AM, TreeN6TR wrote:
I have recently purchased a WSPR transmitter that I will be putting on 160
meters soon.  It will be running 200 mw (at least for now) and be connected
to my TX antenna most of the time.

3-4 years ago, K1JT and his team introduced new modes intended to replace older ones. The new modes offer improved decoding to lower signal levels. FST4 was developed to replace JT9 on MF and LF bands, and quickly gained acceptance below 160M. FST4W uses the same encoding tweaked to replace WSPR.

The modes and their application are described in doc files and help files on the WSJT download site.
https://wsjt.sourceforge.io/FST4_Quick_Start.pdf

This is the comparable doc for the Q65 mode, designed for various scatter modes at VHF and above.
https://wsjt.sourceforge.io/Q65_Quick_Start.pdf

73, Jim K9YC