Re: Topband: High Impedance RX Antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: High Impedance RX Antennas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 12:18:02 -0700
On 4/3/2023 10:20 AM, Tree wrote:
I guess most people have some kind of small antenna analyzer that has a TDR
kind of function.

In my professional life in pro audio, I started doing Time Domain Spectrometry in 1982, so I have a pretty good handle on how it works. There is a mathematical relationship between the frequency response of a system and its time response -- one is the inverse of the other. The Fourier Transform of the time response yields the frequency response, and the Inverse Fourier of the frequency response yields the time response. Modern antenna analyzers produce a swept frequency response, and associated software running on the computer does the Inverse Fourier Transform of a sweep to produce the TDR.

For more than 10 years, the best of the low cost Vector Network Analyzers has been the VNWA3SE, built and sold as a finished and tested unit, by SDR Kits, run by hams in UK. The unit, its firmware, and associated software, was designed by DG8SAQ, an EE prof. Support from both DG8SAQ and SDR Kits is excellent -- both read and respond to their support email reflector. Current cost with shipping is about $560 (depending on currency).

https://www.sdr-kits.net/introducing-DG8SAQ-VNWA3

Greatest precision (ability to see small things) is provided by a sweep over a very wide frequency range. I usually sweep from 50-500 MHz. Once the sweep is done, the TDR is simply a few more button pushes in the menu system.

73, Jim K9YC