Topband: 2-element receiving arrays

To: topband reflector <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 2-element receiving arrays
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 08:54:30 -0400
Thinking ahead to next winter on 160, I'm interested in replacing my K9AY Loop with a 2-vertical phased array.  I'd like to homebrew the antennas and just buy or build the remote control unit for the shack.  I'm looking for sources of components (antenna-located preamps and an in-shack controller), and would prefer not to completely homebrew them, but the prices at the usual suspects are awfully high.  Any ideas?

I have pretty reasonably-priced access to 25 and 31-foot fiberglass poles (used for wind-socks by model airplane enthusiasts).  I'm thinking that one relatively low-cost approach might be to attach, say, #14 wire to the poles, with preamps at the base, but wonder if there is a downside to using such small-diameter antenna elements rather than 1 or 1.5 inch tubing? Alternatively, are clones of the DX Engineering 8' short verticals with preamps a good alternative?

--
73, Pete N4ZR