Topband: The 2022-23 160 Meter Season

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The 2022-23 160 Meter Season
From: w5zn@w5zn.org
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 13:00:36 -0700
Its been a pretty rough year for 160 meter propagation but it did have its moments. Its difficult for me to gauge how things were because I seem to only remember to "good ones" and "great ones" we've all experienced and not all the others that were in the pits!

One of the bright moments occurred on the early morning of January 26 when Eddy, XV1X, showed up on 160 CW. We had prop for only about 5 mins and I was able to work him at 1201z, about an hour before my SR. A bit later, at 1246z, 20 mins before my SR he was spotted on FT8. I only had about 2 mins of decode on him and was able to work him there as well.

Today I received Eddy's QSL cards confirming both contacts. This was #286 on 160. I'm hopeful I can live long enough to hit the 300 mark but new ones are coming very slow.

Bouvet would have been a new one on 160 for me but, as Tony Soprano would say "Whatya gonna do?"

Regardless, it is great to see Eddy on 160 meters and hope he continues to be active on the band.

73 Joel W5ZN